Assistant Chef - University of South Carolina
About the FHC: Formed in the Summer of 2010, the Fraternity Housing Corporation (FHC) exists to provide safe, competitive, and attractive housing and meeting facilities for the members of Alpha Gamma Delta. Today, the FHC owns or leases almost over 65 Alpha Gamma Delta homes, dorms, lodges, and suites across the United States. The FHC is committed to providing the highest quality property management support for each unique chapter served.
Job Summary: The Assistant Chef assists the Head Chef in the management of the food program at a collegiate sorority house, including the upkeep of the commercial kitchen and its equipment. Working closely with the Head Chef, the Assistant Chef will help ensure that the residents and guests are provided balanced meals, exceptional customer service, and a comfortable and clean environment in which to dine.
- Assist with timely, regular meal preparation for the chapter, following all HACCP safety standards
- Refresh items during meal service as directed by the Head Chef
- Maintain organized and clean kitchen and serving areas
- Follow all food safety and sanitation guidelines
- Set up and break down service area, before and after meals
- Assist Head Chef with tasks which land inside and outside of day-to-day duties as needed, such as special event preparation
- Collaborate with the chapter’s food committee, as applicable
- Light dishwashing, as needed
Supervisory Responsibilities: Dishwasher (dependent on the location)
- Customer focus – Build strong customer relationships and deliver customer-centric solutions
- Communicates effectively – Develop and deliver multi-mode communications that convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences
- Situational adaptability – Adapt approach and demeanor in real time to match the shifting demands of different situations
- Action oriented – Take on new opportunities and tough challenges with a sense of urgency, high energy, and enthusiasm
- Drives results – Consistently achieve results, even under tough circumstances
- Goal and team oriented, able to work closely with people while exhibiting a positive attitude
- Cooperate, communicate and present yourself appropriately in all situations
- Deliver your work on-time, in-budget, and to the highest quality
- Basic culinary and baking knowledge
- Ability to follow standardized recipes
- Strong knife skills preferred
- High school Diploma or GED equivalent required; Culinary degree preferred
- ServSafe Certification preferred, or ability to obtain ServSafe Certification once hired
- 2-4 years of relevant experience in a culinary position required
- Relevant experience in a culinary management position preferred
Physical Demands/Work Environment/Travel: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. The work environment is primarily in an office environment but involves frequent work performed from out-of-office locations for job related activities and occasional activities which are outdoors. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Lift and carry up to 50 lbs on a daily basis
- Work with extremely sharp objects, such as knives, can openers, etc.
- Work with extremely hot appliances, such as ovens and dishwashers
- Work with extremely hot, sometimes boiling, water
- Work with some cleaning products that contain chemicals
- Read food and cleaning product labels
- Stand 80% of the time while working
- Kneel, bend, and reach for items often
- Climb stairs several times per day
- Work primarily indoors, sometimes in very warm conditions, such as hot kitchens
- Use commercial kitchen equipment and appliances
- Must possess a valid driver’s license
Other Duties: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed in this position. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy: We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.